Tchogha Zanbil

Tchogha Zanbil

The ruins of the holy city of the Kingdom of Elam, surrounded by three huge concentric walls, are found at Tchogha Zanbil. Founded c. 1250 B.C., the city remained unfinished after it was invaded by Ashurbanipal, as shown by the thousands of unused bricks left at the site.

Tchoga Zanbil

À l'intérieur de trois formidables enceintes concentriques, le site de Tchoga Zanbil conserve les ruines de la ville sainte du royaume d'Élam, fondée vers 1250 av. J.-C., qui, après l'invasion d'Assurbanipal, resta inachevée, comme l'attestent ses milliers de briques inutilisées.

تشوغا زنبيل

في داخل ثلاثة أماكن مسوّرة متراكزة رائعة، يحفظ موقع تشوغا زنبيل آثار المدينة المقدسة في مملكة إيلام، التي تأسست قرابة العام 1250 ق.م. والتي ظلّت غير مكتملة بعد اجتياح أشوربنيبعل كما تدلّ على ذلك آلاف حجار القرميد التي تتواجد فيها ولم تستعمل.

source: UNESCO/ERI

恰高•占比尔

在恰高•占比尔三堵巨大的同心墙内,我们可以找到埃兰(Elam)王国圣城的遗址。该城始建于公元前1250年,摆在遗址处的几千块还没用过的砖说明,在遭到阿舒尔巴尼帕尔的侵略后,恰高•占比尔始终没有建成。

source: UNESCO/ERI

Древний город Чога-Занбиль

В Чога-Замбиль найдены руины священного города царства Элам, окруженного тремя концентрическими рядами мощных стен. Основанный в 1250 г. до н.э., из-за захвата Ашшурбанипалом город остался недостроенным, что видно по тысячам оставленных на месте неиспользованных кирпичей.

source: UNESCO/ERI

Tchogha Zanbil

En este sitio se hallan las ruinas de la ciudad sagrada del reino de Elam, rodeadas por tres imponentes murallas concéntricas. La construcción esa ciudad, fundada hacia el año 1250 a.C., permaneció inacabada después de su invasión por Asurbanipal, como lo atestiguan los miles de ladrillos sin utilizar que se han encontrado.

source: UNESCO/ERI

チョガ・ザンビール

source: NFUAJ

Chogha Zanbil

In Chogha Zanbil liggen de ruïnes van de heilige stad van het Koninkrijk van Elam, omringd door drie enorme concentrische muren. De stad werd circa 1250 voor Christus opgericht en bleef onvoltooid nadat het werd binnengevallen door Assurbanipal, zoals blijkt uit de duizenden ongebruikte stenen gevonden op deze plek. Chogha Zanbil heeft de best bewaarde en grootste ziggurats van Mesopotamië. De eerste omheining bevat de ‘temenos’. Deze tempel stond oorspronkelijk in het midden van een vierkant gebouw en was gewijd aan de Soemerische god Inshushinak. De tempel werd omgezet in een ziggurat en vormt daar de eerste verdieping van.

Source: unesco.nl

  • English
  • French
  • Arabic
  • Chinese
  • Russian
  • Spanish
  • Japanese
  • Dutch
Tchogha Zanbil © OUR PLACE
Long Description

The current name of Tchogha-Zanbil corresponds with the ancient city of Dur Untash, dominating the course of the Ab-e Diz, a tributary of the Karun. The city was founded as a religious capital during the Elamite period by Untash-Napirisha (1275-1240 BC) in a site half-way between Anshân and Suse. Roman Ghirshman carried out the complete exploration of the site from 1951 to 1962.

The site contains the best preserved and the largest of all the ziggurats of Mesopotamia. The first enclosure contains the temenos. In origin, the temple located at the centre was a square building, dedicated to the Sumerian god Inshushinak. This temple was then converted into a ziggurat of which it constitutes the first storey. The solid masses of the four other storeys are in the other XX starting from the ground of the court (and not one on top of the other as in Mesopotamia) so as to cover all the surface of the old central court

Access was by means of a vaulted staircase, invisible from outside, unlike the squatter Mesopotamian ziggurats, which were equipped with three external staircases, Today the ziggurat is no more than 25 m high, the last two stages, which originally rose to a height of 60 m, having been destroyed. The ziggurat is sacred not only to Inshushinak but also to Napirisha, the god of Anshân.

On the north-western side of the ziggurat a group of temples were dedicated to the minor divinities, Ishnikarab and Kiririsha. An oval wall surrounded the temples and the ziggurat. The second enclosure, trapezoidal in form, delimits a vast, almost empty zone. In the third enclosure, only three palaces were built and a temple, near the Royal Gate, with a large interior court. This third enclosure was to protect the town of Dur Untash, the houses of which were never built. The Untash-Gal Palace (13th century BC) was discovered, separated from the temenos.

In spite of the destruction attributed to the Assyrians, a whole series of heads, statuettes, animals and amulets were found, and the remains of two panels in ivory mosaic. Several vaulted tombs were discovered in the basement of the royal residence, with evidence of cremation. Nearby was a temple dedicated to Nusku, the god of fire.

To supply the population of the city with water, Untash-Napirisha made a channel of about 50 km long, leading to a reservoir outside the northern rampart; from there, nine conduits carried the filtered water to a basin arranged inside the rampart. Dur Untash was given up by the Elamite kings in the 12th century BC in favour of Susa. They transported all the treasures of Tchogha Zanbil to Susa where they were used to decorate the recently restored temples. In 640 BC, Dur Untash was entirely destroyed by the Assyrian king Assurbanipal, a few years after his conquest of Susa.

Source: UNESCO/CLT/WHC