27 COM 20B.5
World Heritage Programmes
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Recalling the recommendations made at the important Regional Training Course on the Implementation of the Convention and its Role in Sustainable Development and Tourism in the Caribbean, that took place in Dominica (September-October 2001) as part of the Global Strategy Action Plan for the Caribbean and was reported to the Committee at its 25th session in Helsinki in 2001 (see WHC-01/CONF.208/11),
2. Having taken note of the recommendations made at the Thematic Expert Meeting on Wooden Urban Heritage, which took place in Georgetown, Guyana from 4 to 7 February 2003 as part of the Global Strategy Action Plan for the Caribbean, and taking into account the results of the Periodic Reporting Exercise for the Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) Region that took place from 17 to 19 July in Port-au-Prince, Haiti,
3. Bearing in mind that that this programme for 2003-2004 is only an initial programme for launching a larger, more integrated and comprehensive programme for the Caribbean sub-region in June 2004,
4. Requests the World Heritage Centre to follow-up on the recommendations and to identify suitable (sub-) regional, regional and international partners for technical and financial co-operation for the implementation of the proposed programme;
5. Decides to allocate an amount of US$70,000 for the 2004-2005 biennium as seed funds to design the "Caribbean Capacity-Building Programme for cultural and natural heritage 2004 - 2014" to follow-up on the recommendations resulting from the Latin America and the Caribbean Periodic Reporting exercise, scheduled to be completed for examination by the World Heritage Committe at its 28th session in June 2004.