Historic Centre of Riga (Latvia)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Noting the information provided by the Latvian authorities on the construction project within the buffer zone,;
2. Recalls the protective provisions of the World Heritage Convention and its Operational Guidelines;
3. Acknowledges the adoption of the Law on the Preservation and Protection of Riga's Historical centre in April 2003; and urges the State Party to implement it;
4. Considers that any high-rise development at the waterfront is not appropriate for Riga's flat urban situation, and that currently one construction project is ongoing, and its complete halt could produce severe economic consequences for the whole city of Riga;
5. Therefore requests the State Party to review the construction project and to fully guarantee the respect of the approved detailed plan of Kipsala in order to protect the World Heritage property and its visual integrity;
6. Further requests the State Party to provide in this regard a report to the World Heritage Centre by the 1 February 2004 and to submit a report in order that the World Heritage Committee can examine the state of conservation of the property at its 28th session in 2004.