Imperial Palaces of the Ming and Qing Dynasties in Beijing and Shenyang (China)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Expressing concern regarding the urban development pressure in Beijing, and the renewal of the historic and traditional urban fabric of the historic city,
2. Requests the State Party to strengthen the legal provision for the protection of the buffer zones of these World Heritage properties;
3. Encourages the Chinese authorities to continue their efforts to protect the urban historic fabric of Beijing surrounding the World Heritage properties of the Imperial Palace of the Ming and Qing Dynasties, the Temple of Heaven and the Summer Palace;
4. Further encourages the Chinese authorities to review and update the management plans for these properties, taking into due consideration the heritage conservation and development needs of the local communities;
5. Requests UNESCO and the World Heritage Centre to provide technical assistance to the Chinese authorities to review and update the existing management plans for their World Heritage properties, including the case of Nanchizi and other similar conservation and other rehabilitation projects in the historic quarters of Beijing, to ensure long-term comprehensive management;
6. Requests the State Party to submit a progress report to the World Heritage Centre by 1 February 2004, on measures taken to enhance the conservation and presentation of the World Heritage properties and including an assessment of the remaining traditional architecture in the buffer zone in order that the World Heritage Committee can examine the state of conservation of the property at its 28th session in 2004.