27 COM 7B.35
Kasbah of Algiers (Algeria)
The World Heritage Committee ,
1. Having noted the very worrying state of conservation of the Kasbah, and its difficult socio-economic context,;
2. Commends the Algerian authorities for having designated the Kasbah as a protected zone under the current Law, which constitutes an important step towards an effective protection of the property;
3. Recognizes the urgent need to strengthen capacity of the responsible technical bodies in conservation and appreciates the support from the Italian Government in this respect,
4. Invites the State Party to rapidly proceed, in close consultation with the World Heritage Centre, with the completion and implementation of the Luang Prabang conservation plan Plan de sauvegarde et de mise en valeur (PSMV), which will have to include appropriate institutional co-ordination mechanism, as well as construction regulations and detailed technical specifications adapted to the particular architectural context of the Kasbah;
5. Strongly encourages the State Party to make available as a matter of urgency the necessary financial resources to the responsible bodies for emergency rehabilitation interventions within the Kasbah;
6. Requests the State Party to submit a report to the World Heritage Centre on the progress in the finalization and implementation of the Urban Conservation Plan by 1 February 2004 in order that the World Heritage Committee can examine the state of conservation of the property at its 28th session in 2004.
 Decision adopted without discussion.