The World Heritage Committee,
1. Noting the report of the UNESCO mission undertaken in 2002, and the recommendations aimed at safeguarding Timbuktu Old Town and the three mosques inscribed in the List of World Heritage in Danger;
2. Expresses its appreciation to the Italian Government for its support towards the implementation of the World Heritage Convention in Africa;
3. Recalling the ICOMOS evaluation of the nomination dossier in 1987, recommending the inclusion of the Timbuktu Old Town in the World Heritage List;
4. Invites the State Party to implement to the extent possible the recommendations made by the UNESCO mission and contained in the Africa Periodic Report, such as considering the possibility of submitting a new nomination dossier to extend the current World Heritage property by including the entire Old Town of Timbuktu; elaborating management plans for the three mosques; organizing two workshops in Timbuktu on the elaboration of a management plan and on the restoration of earthen urban structures in African historic towns;
5. Decides to retain Timbuktu on the List of World Heritage in Danger.