Decision : 29 COM 8B.41
Nominations of Cultural Properties to the World Heritage List (Syracuse and the Rocky Necropolis of Pantalica )
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Documents WHC-05/29.COM/8B, WHC-05/29.COM/8B.Add 2 and WHC-05/29.COM/INF.8B.1,
2. Inscribes Syracuse and the Rocky Necropolis of Pantalica (Italy) on the World Heritage List on the basis of cultural criteria (ii), (iii), (iv) and (vi):
Criterion (ii): The sites and monuments which form the Syracuse/Pantalica ensemble constitute a unique accumulation, through the ages and in the same space, of remarkable testimonies to Mediterranean cultures.
Criterion (iii): The Syracuse/Pantalica ensemble offers, through its remarkable cultural diversity, an exceptional testimony to the development of civilisation over some three millennia.
Criterion (iv): The group of monuments and archeological sites situated in Syracuse (between the nucleus of Ortygia and the vestiges located throughout the urban area) is the finest example of outstanding architectural creation spanning several cultural aspects (Greek, Roman and Baroque).
Criterion (vi): Ancient Syracuse was directly linked to events, ideas and literary works of outstanding universal significance.
3. Invites the authorities responsible for the management of the property to ensure the application of the necessary measures to avoid problems relating to the insertion of the conservation process into a living and evolving urban setting;
4. Encourages the State Party of Italy to implement the plan it adopted in relation to the houses that are currently unoccupied in Ortygia, in order to find them a function in urban activity;
5. Requests the State Party to draw up a detailed report on the conservation of the property, and changes in its condition, every three years.