Samarkand - Crossroads of Cultures (Uzbekistan)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-05/29.COM/7B.Rev,
2. Expressing its deep concern about the on-going large-scale restoration and urban landscaping programme at the Shakhi-Zindah ensemble, which appear to be severely affecting the integrity and authenticity of the World Heritage property;
3. Requests the State Party of Uzbekistan immediately to stop the on-going works at Shaki-Zindah;
4. Also requests the State Party to provide to the World Heritage Centre a complete documentation on the works being planned, in accordance to the provisions of the Operational Guidelines (paragraph 172);
5. Further requests ICOMOS to carry out a reactive monitoring mission to the property as soon as possible in order to assess the actual impact of the works on the outstanding universal value of the World Heritage property and report to the Committee at its 30th session (Vilnius, 2006). Depending on the results of this mission, the Committee may inscribe the property in the List of World Heritage in Danger at its 30th session (Vilnius, 2006).