Decision : CONF 203 VII.15
SOC: Royal Palaces of Abomey (Benin)
VII.15 Royal Palaces of Abomey (Benin)
At the request of the World Heritage Committee, the Benin authorities prepared a conservation plan, partly financed by the World Heritage Fund. This conservation plan was developed as an instrument for co-operation and partnership to coordinate and ensure the coherence of actions carried out at the site. The Benin Government has allocated additional funding for the implementation of this plan.
Among the objectives set for the coming five years are:
- the establishment of partnerships at the local, national and international level,
- the increase of resources for the museum and the establishment of dynamic management and strengthening of capacities of the museum team, and the creation of a data base on the site,
- the creation of a management advisory body and establishment of a monitoring and evaluation system,
- the strengthening of legal protection,
- improved promotion, in line with the increased knowledge of the site and its components,
- the removal of the site from the List of World Heritage in Danger, after an initial programme of action of five years.
The Committee congratulated the Benin authorities for their efforts in preparing the conservation plan, and the allocation of additional resources for this site. The Committee requested the Benin authorities to report to the Committee at its twenty-fourth session concerning the progress made in the implementation of this plan.
The Committee decided to retain the Royal Palaces of Abomey on the List of World Heritage in Danger.