Historic Centre of Macao (China) (C 1110)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-08/32.COM/7B,
2. Noting with concern that development projects are being implemented or proposed in areas surrounding the buffer zones of the property, which might have a negative impact on its visual integrity,
3. Welcomes the measures taken by the State Party of China to mitigate possible negative impacts of development projects on the visual integrity of the World Heritage property by reducing height limits for construction in sensitive areas surrounding the Guia Hill and the Monte Fortress ;
4. Requests the State Party, in consultation with the World Heritage Centre and ICOMOS, to develop a draft Statement of Outstanding Universal Value including the conditions of integrity and authenticity, for examination by the World Heritage Committee at its 33rd session in 2009;
5. Also requests however the State Party to invite a joint World Heritage Centre / ICOMOS Reactive Monitoring mission to the property to determine whether the above mentioned measures are adequate to ensure the long term protection of the Outstanding Universal Value of the property, and to provide advice on defining the setting of the property and any possible revision of the boundary of the buffer zone which might be required;
6. Further requests the State Party to submit to the World Heritage Centre, by 1 February 2009, an updated report on the progress made in implementing the measures mentioned above, for examination by the World Heritage Committee at its 33rd session in 2009.