Decision : 32 COM 8B.51
Examination of nominations and minor modifications to the boundaries of naturel, mixed and cultural properties to the World Heritage List - River island of Majuli in midstream Brahmaputra River in Assam (INDIA)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Documents WHC-08/32.COM/8B.Add and WHC-08/32.COM/INF.8B1.Add,
2. Defers the examination of the nomination of the River island of Majuli in midstream Brahmaputra River in Assam, India, to the World Heritage List in order to allow the State Party to:
- a) assemble a complete inventory of the 31 surviving Sattras on the island as a preliminary to considering which Sattras might have the potential to demonstrate Outstanding Universal Value and be nominated as the property;
- b) allow an ICOMOS evaluation mission to visit the property to consider the extent and scope of the Sattras;
- c) undertake an appraisal of the overall river basin in which Majuli lies, and the potential impact of upstream development, deforestation and the building of dams, in order to ascertain whether managed retreat is the only realistic approach to the flooding and erosion processes.