Archaeological Site of Cyrene (Libyan Arab Jamahiriya)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-07/31.COM/7B,
2. Recalling Decision 30 COM 7B.53, adopted at its 30th session (Vilnius, 2006),
3. Expresses its satisfaction that the State Party has made considerable headway in the implementation of a number of requests made by the Committee at its 30th session (Vilnius, 2006);
4. Requests the State Party to take action relating to the recommendations made by the Joint World Heritage Centre/ICOMOS mission of January 2007 relating to:
a) Rapidly completing, adopting and implementing the Management Plan;
b) Transmitting the precise delineation of the World Heritage property and its buffer zone, to the World Heritage Centre;
c) Augmenting the Department of Antiquities scientific, technical, and surveillance staff at the property by introducing training programmes and technical specialization;
d) Informing the World Heritage Centre of all new projects, such as the establishment of a new urban settlement near Shahat;
e) Avoiding harsh cleaning treatments and over restoration of monuments that might adversely impact the authenticity and integrity of the property;
f) Reinforcement of the information programme aimed at raising public awareness of the importance and fragility of the property .
5. Further requests the State Party to submit a progress report on these activities to the World Heritage Centre by 1 February 2009 for examination by the Committee at its 33rd session in 2009.