31 COM 8B.48
Nomination of natural, mixed and cultural properties to the world heritage list - The Historic Centre of Berat (City of 25 Centuries Cultural Continuity and Religious Coexistence)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Documents WHC-07/31.COM/8B and WHC-07/31.COM/INF.8B.1,
2. Taking into account that ICOMOS considers that the town of Berat is an example of the specific architectural and urban values of the Balkans region, in a context of great historical continuity. It also has its own specific architectural value and overall aesthetic quality,
3. Referring to paragraph 137, sub-paragraphs a) and b) of the Operational Guidelines, related to serial properties and considering that the two towns of Gjirokastra and Berat belong to the same historico-cultural group and the same type of property which is characteristic of the geographic zone,
4. Recognizing the strong potential for the site to be included in a serial nomination along with Gjirokastra which was already inscribed on the World Heritage List in 2005,
5. Refers the nomination of The Historic Centre of Berat (City of 25 Centuries Cultural Continuity and Religious Coexistence), Albania, back to the State Party to allow it to consider preparing, on an exceptional basis, a serial nomination based on previous ICOMOS evaluations, including a joint management plan for the two cities, for consideration by the Committee at its 32nd session in 2008.