Decision : 30 COM 7A.11
Djoudj National Bird Sanctuary (Senegal) (N 25)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-06/30.COM/7A.Add.Rev,
2. Recalling Decision 29 COM 7A.7, adopted at its 29th session (Durban, 2005),
3. Commends the State Party for its considerable efforts to improve the state of conservation of the property in line with the 2005 IUCN/UNESCO monitoring mission and for developing a 3 year action plan to achieve the benchmarks set by the Committee at its 29th session (Durban, 2005) with the support of partners and experts in a multi-stakeholder workshop;
4. Urges the State Party to formally approve the Action Plan (2006-2008) and commit the necessary resources to its full implementation as soon as possible, including by deploying and training the necessary personnel, by 1 October 2006;
5. Encourages donors and partners to give particular attention to supporting the Ministry of Environment in the effective implementation of the Action Plan (2006-2008) for the Djoudj National Bird Sanctuary;
6. Further urges the State Party to put in place a management committee and a scientific committee, preferably by the end of 2006, engaging relevant partners and experts, to guide and assess the implementation of the Action Plan (2006-2008);
7. Recognises that excellent progress has been made in reaching the benchmarks proposed by the 2005 IUCN/UNESCO monitoring mission, and that it is expected that the implementation of the Action Plan, along with careful management and monitoring of the hydrological system will further consolidate conservation efforts.
8. Requests the State Party to provide the World Heritage Centre with an updated report by 1 February 2007, on the state of conservation of the property, in particular on progress in the implementation of the recommendations of the 2005 monitoring mission and the approval and implementation of the Action Plan, for examination by the Committee at its 31st session in 2007;
9. Decides to remove Djoudj National Bird Sanctuary (Senegal) from the List of World Heritage in Danger.