Decision : 30 COM 8B.36
Nominations of Cultural Propertiesto the World Heriate List (Kondoa Rock Art Sites)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Documents WHC-06/30.COM/8B and WHC-06/30.COM/INF.8B.1,
2. Inscribes the Kondoa Rock Art Sites, United Republic of Tanzania, on the World Heritage List on the basis of criteria (iii) and (vi):
Criterion (iii): The rock art sites at Kondoa are an exceptional testimony to the lives of hunter-gathers and agriculturalists who have lived in the area over several millennia, and reflect a unique variation of hunter-gather art from southern and central Africa and a unique form of agro-pastoralist paintings.
Criterion (vi): Some of the rock art sites are still used actively by local communities for a variety of ritual activities such as rainmaking, divining and healing. These strong intangible relationships between the paintings and living practices reinforce the links with those societies that created the paintings, and demonstrate a crucial cultural continuum.
3. In order to support management and monitoring, encourages all State Parties with relevant records of the rock paintings to allow copies to be made to contribute to a data-base in Kondoa of existing records of the site, now scattered across many institutions in several countries;
4. Commends the State Party for appointing a site manager and assistant, beginning the process of management involving the local community, working on a detailed inventory, putting in place, a strategy to deal with the provision of firewood for local communities from areas away from the nominated site and, setting out a timetable for trained staff and a database to be in place;
5. Requests the State Party to ensure that any illegal excavations come to a halt.