Church of Nossa Senhora da Conceiçào da Muxima

Date of Submission: 22/11/1996
Category: Cultural
Submitted by:
Ministerio da Cultura Instituto Nacional do Patrimonio Cultural
Coordinates: Province: Bengo (North of the Country)
Ref.: 928
Export
Word File Word File
Disclaimer

The Tentative Lists of States Parties are published by the World Heritage Centre at its website and/or in working documents in order to ensure transparency, access to information and to facilitate harmonization of Tentative Lists at regional and thematic levels.

The sole responsibility for the content of each Tentative List lies with the State Party concerned. The publication of the Tentative Lists does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever of the World Heritage Committee or of the World Heritage Centre or of the Secretariat of UNESCO concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.

Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party

Description

Standing on the left border of the Kwanza River, district of Muxirna, province of Bengo, this church is contemporanian of the Fortress of C`Muxima'7. The village of Muxirna was occupied by the portugueses in 1589 and ten years later (1599), the Fortress was founded and the church was built with a prayer invoking divine blessing from "Nossa Senhora da Muxirna". Muxima was an important empire of slaves traffic, protected by the Fortress, and the church played an important role in the materialization of the traffic, because it was in this religious local, where the slaves were baptized before being deported. It is spacious and strong building with a stern tipically portuguese architecture, built on the border of the Kwanza River. This popular sanctuary was spoiled and set on fire by the netherlanders in 1641, when they enclosed Muxima. Later, it was modified. The Sanctuary with the Virgin image has been a Center of great devotion from de christians, from generations in generations.It was classified as National Monument by Provincial Decret n. 2, 12 of January of 1924. It is relatively in good order and belongs to the Catholic Church. The responsibility for its maintenance and preservation concerns the Ministry of Culture.