International Meeting on the Cultural Landscapes of Agropastoralism
The meeting is a follow-up to the recommendations put forth at the 35th World Heritage Committee (Paris, 2011) following the inscription of the cultural landscape on the World Heritage List. This is a continuation of the work that was initiated during the meetings that were held in Meyrueis (France) and Tirana (Albania). The proposed approach also refers to the recommendations and conclusions of the Periodic Report on the application of the World Heritage Convention in the European Region (2001-2006) and the Arab States (2008-2010), advocating the identification and promotion of cultural landscapes.
The focus is on the promotion of the World Heritage Convention and the role of culture and heritage in the socio-economic development. The French experience of the Causses and the Cévennes listed in 2011, will serve as a real-life experiment in providing a better understanding on the protection of the traditional cultural landscapes that are related to agropastoralism in terms of the identification, inscription and preservation of other agropastoral landscapes or potential heritage projects throughout the Mediterranean basin and beyond.
The aim of the meeting is also to serve as an opportunity for the network of the Mediterranean countries and the Arab region to discuss alongside the issues, opportunities and challenges of regional management and governance of Mediterranean agropastoral cultural landscape. In addition, it serves to offer support to potential project proposals in the Mediterranean area thus identitfying possible approaches to future inscriptions and come up with initiatives for joint collaboration and coordination that enhances cooperation between the countries of the Mediterranean basin and the Arab region.
This meeting is organized by the Alliance for the Causses and the Cévennes (Entente interdépartementale Causses et Cévennes), the Association for the Promotion of the Causses and Cévennes (AVECC), International Centre for Advanced Mediterranean Agronomic Studies / the Mediterranean Agronomic Institute of Montpellier (CIHEAM/IamM), and the UNESCO World Heritage Centre within the framework of the France-UNESCO Cooperation Agreement, under the auspices of the Ministry of Ecology, Sustainable Development and Energy (France), the Ministry of Culture and Communication (France) and with the support of The Arab Regional Centre for World Heritage (ARC-WH).
- EN_International Thematic Meeting on Cultural Landscapes of Agropastoralism: The Mediterranean Network 2012
- EN_Program (1-5 October): Cultural Landscapes of Agropastoralism
- FR_Paysages culturels de l'agropastoralisme: Réseau méditerranean 2012
- FR_Programme (1-5 Octobre) - Semaine de rencontres internationales.pdf
World Heritage Properties
- 35th session of the Committee Jun 19, 2011 - Jun 29, 2011
- [in French only] Institut Agronomique Méditerranéen de Montpellier (IAMM)
- Alliance for the Causses and the Cévennes
- Arab Regional Center for World Heritage
- France-UNESCO Cooperation Agreement (CFU)
- Ministry of Culture and Communication (France)
- Ministry of Ecology, Sustainable Development and Energy
- The International Centre for Advanced Mediterranean Agronomic Studies - the Mediterranean Agronomic Institute of Montpellier
- 10th Anniversary of the France-UNESCO Convention Monday, August 17, 2009
- Thematic meeting of experts on the agro-pastoral cultural landscapes in the Mediterranean Sep 20, 2007 - Sep 22, 2007
- Second thematic meeting of experts on the agro-pastoral cultural landscapes in the Mediterranean Nov 12, 2009 - Nov 14, 2009
Monday, October 1, 2012
Friday, October 5, 2012
Montpellier – the Causses and the Cévennes, France
Karim Hendili (UNESCO)
Marie-Noël Tournoux (UNESCO)
Mechtild Rössler (UNESCO)
Cultural Landscape, World Heritage, Vernacular, Intangible Heritage, Management, Governance, Planning