Fortress of S. Francisco do Penedo

Date of Submission: 22/11/1996
Category: Cultural
Submitted by:
Ministerio da CulturaInstituto Nacional do Patrimonio Cultural
Coordinates: Province: Luanda (North of the Country)
Ref.: 923
Export
Word File Word File
Disclaimer

The Tentative Lists of States Parties are published by the World Heritage Centre at its website and/or in working documents in order to ensure transparency, access to information and to facilitate harmonization of Tentative Lists at regional and thematic levels.

The sole responsibility for the content of each Tentative List lies with the State Party concerned. The publication of the Tentative Lists does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever of the World Heritage Committee or of the World Heritage Centre or of the Secretariat of UNESCO concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.

Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party

Description

In the XVII Century, by order of the King of Spain, Filipe the III was created a Commission to study how to fortify Luanda.

One of the expected buildings to protect the city of Luanda, was the Fortress of Penedo. So, the Fortress would come to guarantee the safety of European occupation, giving resistance to the network of the traffic of the slaves, who were sent to America, from the harbour of Luanda.

The Fortress of Penedo was, since its first building, one of the keys of the Luanda harbour protection. And secretly it cantoned the slaves and assured their sending to the lands of "New World" (America).

The new fortress was built between 1765 and 1766, and was also used as Prison of the Portuguese Political Police.

This Fortress is badly preserved due to its age and its activity as a Prison.

The responsibility for its conservation and preservation concerns the Ministry of Culture.