Expert Working Group releases recommendations for Bamiyan Valley, Afghanistan
Expert Working Group meeting held in Tokyo, releases recommendations for Safeguarding World Heritage property of the Bamiyan Valley, Afghanistan
Following their meeting in UNESCO Headquarters in March 2011, a group of Afghan and international experts working on the safeguarding of Bamiyan (Afghanistan), as well as representatives of the Afghan and Japanese governments and UNESCO, have released a list of recommendations for further activities to preserve the Bamiyan site. The 10th Expert Working Group Meeting for the safeguarding of the cultural landscape and archaeological remains of the Bamiyan Valley World Heritage property was successfully held in Tokyo, Japan from 6 to 8 December 2011, in close collaboration with the National Research Institute for Cultural Properties, Tokyo, and the Afghan authorities.
Building on the previous meetings, officials from the Afghan Government, national and international experts formulated a list of recommendations regarding the future activities for the preservation of the Bamiyan site. They addressed various areas, including archaeology, management and cultural master plan, capacity-building as well as the conservation and interpretation of the Buddha niches and fragments.
The Expert Working Group was formed in 2002 to coordinate all cultural projects in the country entrusted to UNESCO by the Afghan government. This latest meeting aimed to clarify a programme of safeguarding to be implemented in the future Japan Funds-in-Trust Bamiyan Phase IV project, 1,5 million US dollars for the period of early 2012 to mid 2014, and to advise UNESCO and the Afghan authorities on issues related to the conservation of the Bamiyan World Heritage property.
The discussion emphasized the central importance of a cultural development approach in Bamiyan that incorporates and demonstrates the contribution of culture to sustainable livelihoods, education and the promotion of peace in Afghanistan. The meeting also served as a vector for the coordination of international efforts and as a discussion concerning a range of issues that included infrastructure and development plans of the Afghan Government for Bamiyan in the short and long term and the broader spectrum of heritage management challenges facing Bamiyan and its population.
The Bamiyan Expert Working Group also recognised that the current initiatives for the conservation and sustainable management of the World Heritage property of Bamiyan are fully in line with the UNDAF (United Nations Assistance Development Framework) and the Afghan National Development Strategy. The participants considered that the conservation of this outstanding heritage site contributes to promoting peace and fostering sustainable development, for the people of Bamiyan in particular, and in Afghanistan as a whole, by demonstrating the possibility of building sustainable communities by fostering cultural diversity and an appropriate use of the natural and cultural environment.
World Heritage Properties (1)
States Parties (1)
Other news (7)
- 11th Expert Working Group releases recommendations for Safeguarding the Bamiyan Valley, Afghanistan Friday, April 12, 2013
- Expert Working Group releases recommendations for Bamiyan Valley, Afghanistan Tuesday, February 14, 2012
- Expert Working Group releases recommendations for Safeguarding Bamiyan Wednesday, April 27, 2011
- Experts outline future plans for the Cultural Landscape and Archaeological Remains of the Bamiyan Valley (Afghanistan) Monday, March 7, 2011
- Ten years on – remembering the tragic destruction of the giant Buddha statues of Bamiyan (Afghanistan) Thursday, March 3, 2011
- Fourth Expert Working Group on the Preservation of the Bamiyan Site issued recommendations for Safeguarding Bamiyan Tuesday, December 20, 2005
- Fourth Expert Working Group on the preservation of the Bamiyan World Heritage site Wednesday, December 7, 2005
- Fourth Expert Working Group on the preservation of the Bamiyan World Heritage site Dec 7, 2005 - Dec 9, 2005
- 5th Expert Working Group for the Preservation of the Bamiyan Valley Dec 14, 2006 - Dec 16, 2006
- Sixth Expert Working Group for the Preservation of the Bamiyan Site Jan 20, 2008 - Jan 22, 2008
- Final Steering Committee for Preservation of Ajina Tepa Monastery and Silk Roads World Heritage Serial Nomination Dec 12, 2008
- 7th Expert Working Group on the Preservation of the Cultural Landscape and Archaeological Remains of the Bamiyan Valley Jun 12, 2008 - Jun 13, 2008
- 8th Expert Working Group Meeting for the Preservation of the Bamiyan World Heritage site Mar 25, 2010 - Mar 26, 2010
- 9th Expert Working Group Meeting for the Safeguarding of the Archaeological Remains of the Bamiyan Valley Mar 3, 2011 - Mar 4, 2011
- 10th expert working group and 2 public symposiums on Bamiyan Valley Dec 6, 2011 - Dec 11, 2011
Tuesday, February 14, 2012