List of World Heritage in Danger: World Heritage Committee inscribes the Tombs of Buganda Kings (Uganda) and removes Galapagos Islands (Ecuador)
The World Heritage Committee holding its 34th session chaired by João Luiz da Silva Ferreira, the Minister of Culture of Brazil, has inscribed the Tombs of Buganda Kings at Kasubi (Uganda) on the List of World Heritage in Danger. The Committee also decided to remove the Galapagos Islands (Ecuador) from this List.
In March 2010, fire almost completely destroyed the Muzibu Azaala Mpanga building, the main structure at the site which contained four royal Buganda tombs. The property, an outstanding example of an architectural style developed by the Buganda Kingdom since the 13th century, will be reconstructed.
The Committee also decided to remove the Galapagos Islands from the List of World Heritage in Danger. The Galapagos Islands, which have been called a unique "living museum and showcase of evolution" were inscribed on the Danger List in 2007 because of threats posed by invasive species, unbridled tourism and over-fishing.
The Committee found that significant progress had been made by Ecuador in addressing these problems. It welcomed the Government's continuing efforts to strengthen conservation measures, especially in dealing with introduced species.
The List of World Heritage in Danger aims to raise international support for the conservation of World Heritage Properties.
Sue Williams, tel: +33 6 15 92 93 62; email@example.com
Ana Lucía Dias Guimaraes +55 61 2106 35 36; firstname.lastname@example.org
For b-rolls contact Carole Darmouni, tel: +33 (0)1 45 68 17 38; email@example.com
- 34th session of the Committee Jul 25, 2010 - Aug 3, 2010
- World Heritage Committee inscribes a total of 21 new sites on UNESCO World Heritage List Monday, August 2, 2010
- World Heritage Committee inscribes Rainforests of Atsinanana (Madagascar) on List of World Heritage in Danger Friday, July 30, 2010
- World Heritage Committee inscribes Everglades National Park on List of World Heritage in Danger Friday, July 30, 2010
- World Heritage Committee inscribes Bagrati Cathedral and Gelati Monastery (Georgia) on List of World Heritage in Danger Thursday, July 29, 2010
- UNESCO recommends reconstruction of Ugandan World Heritage Site Wednesday, April 14, 2010