The Valamo archipelago
Ministry of Culture of RSFSR
The Secretariat of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the World Heritage Centre do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information or documentation provided by the States Parties to the World Heritage Convention to the Secretariat of UNESCO or to the World Heritage Centre.
The publication of any such advice, opinion, statement or other information documentation on the World Heritage Centre’s website and/or on working documents also does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of UNESCO or of the World Heritage Centre concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.
Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party
The Valamo archipelago together with the surrounding waters of Lake Ladoga represents a cultural and ecological complex with more than 200 relicts of the past. The overwhelming majority of the architectural assemble are concentrated on Valamo island. The most considerable of them are as such: the Main Monastery with the main church of the Transfiguration -1887-1896- ; the Outer square of the main Monastery buildings (1807-1910) with the church of the Apostoles Peter and Paul above the Holy gate and some other memorials of the main monastery. The archaeological remains are also to be regarded as memorials which reflect both the history of archipelago and that of those tribes and generations who used to live on the North west of Russia.