Chronological table of the monuments of Hué

1358-1389

The Hoa Chan Citadel was built by the Tran Dynasty in Hué, close to the site of the present Citadel. 

1601

Construction of the first pagoda, the Pagoda of the Celestial Lady; later demolished, it was rebuilt in 1844.

1687

The Nguyen Dynasty established itself in Phu Xuan, the embryo of the future Hué, in the south-eastern corner of the site of the present Citadel.

18th

century Phu Xuan became a prosperous metropolis.

1802

Nguyen Anh proclaimed himself emperor under the name of Gia Long. Hué became the capital.

1802-1820

Reign of Gia Long; construction of the monuments of Hué and the imperial mausoleum.

1805-1846

  • Construction of the present Citadel, the Imperial City and the Forbidden Purple City (in the early years 50,000-80,000 peasants, soldiers and artisans worked there every day).
  • Ironwood (lim) came from the province of Nghe An;
  • Wooden planks from Gia Dhin;
  • Paving stones from Thanh Hoa;
  • Bricks and tiles from Quang Ngai;
  • Gold, lacquer and brass were imported from China.

1805

The first Throne Room was built.

1820-1840

Reign of Minh Mang.

1830

Construction of the arenas.

1833-1840

Construction of the South Gate (Ngo Môn). Reconstruction of the Throne Room in its current form.

1835-1839

The nine dynastic urns were cast.

1840-1843

Construction of the mausoleum of Minh Mang.

1841-1847

Reign of Thieu Tri and construction of his tomb.

1844

Construction of the seven-storey tower of the Pagoda of the Celestial Lady (Thieu Mieu).

1848-1883

Reign of Tu Duc and construction of his tomb.

1916-1925

Reign of Khai Dinh and construction of his tomb.

1947

A fire in the Imperial City and Forbidden Purple City destroyed nearly all the monuments.

1975

Beginning of restoration work.