Fort Zeelandia (including Court of Policy Building)
Guyana Commission for UNESCO
The Secretariat of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the World Heritage Centre do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information or documentation provided by the States Parties to the World Heritage Convention to the Secretariat of UNESCO or to the World Heritage Centre.
The publication of any such advice, opinion, statement or other information documentation on the World Heritage Centre’s website and/or on working documents also does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of UNESCO or of the World Heritage Centre concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.
Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party
The two structures, Fort Zeelandia and the Court of Policy Building are separated by about 10 minutes walk.
The two should be considered together. The Fort itself was built circa 1743 whilst the Court Policy was built the same time- the latter is reputedly the oldest building in Guyana.
(1) Fort Zeelandia
Relatively small; the lozenge-shaped two storey redoubt is about 15m x 20m. The redoubt is enclosed by ramparts with four bastions (at each corner) - the river side rampart has fallen into the river, however. The total area to outside of ramparts is 56m x 78m. Bricks are used throughout
(2) Court of Policy Building
This is a solid clay brick building 31,1m long and 11.0m wide. The walls are 61 cm thick. There are three "rooms"-the central is the church, the northern was the Court of Policy and the southern was used for auctioning slaves.