Egyptian Antiquities Organization
The Secretariat of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the World Heritage Centre do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information or documentation provided by the States Parties to the World Heritage Convention to the Secretariat of UNESCO or to the World Heritage Centre.
The publication of any such advice, opinion, statement or other information documentation on the World Heritage Centre’s website and/or on working documents also does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of UNESCO or of the World Heritage Centre concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.
Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party
The castle was erected under ruins of an ancient one.
It is traced to the Ayoubid period. It was called Newibah Castle. It was erected in 1893 on the southern sectio of the old one. The blocks of the ancient castle were used in building the outer wall which shows (Mazagell) openings for war. The castle includes a shaft, which is still used and some chambers.