Church of Panayia Chrysokourdaliotissa, Kourdali (extension to "Painted Churches in the Troodos Region")

Date of Submission: 04/02/2002
Criteria: (ii)(iii)(iv)
Category: Cultural
Submitted by:
Ministry of Communications and Works Department of Antiquities Nicosia
Coordinates: UTM WGS 84 Eastings: 495400 Northings: 3870200
Ref.: 1672
Export
Word File Word File
Disclaimer

The Tentative Lists of States Parties are published by the World Heritage Centre at its website and/or in working documents in order to ensure transparency, access to information and to facilitate harmonization of Tentative Lists at regional and thematic levels.

The sole responsibility for the content of each Tentative List lies with the State Party concerned. The publication of the Tentative Lists does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever of the World Heritage Committee or of the World Heritage Centre or of the Secretariat of UNESCO concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.

Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party

Description

A three-aisled church of the steep-pitched roof type with flat hooked tiles. The aisles of the church are divided from the nave by wooden arcades. The church retains a considerable number of paintings of the early 16th century. They are of an Italo-Byzantine style and iconography. Its wood-carved gilded iconostavis is a fine example of early 16th century work with a contemporary series of icons in the same style.