Historic Center of the Yenisseisk

Date of Submission: 20/07/2000
Criteria: (ii)(iii)(iv)
Category: Cultural
Submitted by:
UNESCO Chair in urban and architectural conservation
Coordinates: Long. 92° 09'16" / Lat. 58° 37'23
Ref.: 1460
Export
Word File Word File
Disclaimer

The Tentative Lists of States Parties are published by the World Heritage Centre at its website and/or in working documents in order to ensure transparency, access to information and to facilitate harmonization of Tentative Lists at regional and thematic levels.

The sole responsibility for the content of each Tentative List lies with the State Party concerned. The publication of the Tentative Lists does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever of the World Heritage Committee or of the World Heritage Centre or of the Secretariat of UNESCO concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.

Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party

Description

Founded in 1619 on the left bank of the Yenissey as a fortress, it facilitated the expansion of the Russians to the East. The location of the town on the crossroads of the most important rivers, as a fertile region, rich in game, fish, iron ore and salt, told favorably on the development of the town. Yenisseisk reminded the biggest city of East Siberia till the end of the 18~ century. Due to its favorable location between the rivers Kjem and Angara which were convenient waterways via the Ob and the Yenissey from the European part of Russia to East Siberia and further on to the China, Yenisseisk became a very important center of farming, shipping and trade. At the beginning of the XIX century Yenisseisk was on the list of the ten best provincial cities of Russia and was one of the most beautiful cities of Siberia. The city's view was picturesque - two white stone monasteries and ten churches among the green of the gardens. Not once did Yenisseisk live the times of prosperity and decay. Up to our days it preserved the image of an old town, though it suffered irretrievable losses. The general view of the city is determined by the architecture of the 18-19~ centuries. Its most remarkable sight is the Spasso-Preobrazhenski Monastery. Alongside with a small number of old churches of Tobolsk, Tomsk, Irkutsk this monastery can be regarded as the initial step in stone construction in Siberia.