Mahansthangarh and its Environs

Date of Submission: 17/02/1999
Criteria: (ii)(iii)
Category: Cultural
Submitted by:
Department of Archeology
State, Province or Region:
8 miles north of the headquarters of Bogra District, Rajshahi Division, north-western Bangladesh, to the west of the River Jamuna
Ref.: 1208
Export
Word File Word File
Disclaimer

The Tentative Lists of States Parties are published by the World Heritage Centre at its website and/or in working documents in order to ensure transparency, access to information and to facilitate harmonization of Tentative Lists at regional and thematic levels.

The sole responsibility for the content of each Tentative List lies with the State Party concerned. The publication of the Tentative Lists does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever of the World Heritage Committee or of the World Heritage Centre or of the Secretariat of UNESCO concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.

Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party

Description

The extensive archaeological remains of Mahansthangarth extend along the western bank of the River Karatya and consist of a massively fortified oblong enclosure, 5000 feet long by 4500 feet broad, with an average height of 15 feet above the surrounding agricultural land. The site, which has been identified with ancient Pudranagar, is protected by the river on the west and a deep moat on the south, west and part of the north. It dates back to the 3rd century B.C. and represents the earliest city state in Bengal. The site is the focus of a number of lesser monuments, situated within a 5-mile protected radius.