Historic zone of Basseterre
Larry Armony (Ministry of Education, Labour and Social Security- P.O.Box 333, Cayon St. Basseterre)
The Secretariat of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the World Heritage Centre do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information or documentation provided by the States Parties to the World Heritage Convention to the Secretariat of UNESCO or to the World Heritage Centre.
The publication of any such advice, opinion, statement or other information documentation on the World Heritage Centre’s website and/or on working documents also does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of UNESCO or of the World Heritage Centre concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.
Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party
Founded circa 1625 as the first French town in the Caribbean, Basseterre is located on a shelterd bay opening upon an extensive and fertile plain. It became the British capital in 1727. The design of the oldest section is French, while many of the older buildings combine elements of french and English colonial architecture. The town, with a population of some 15000 is the capital of the country of St.Kitts and Nevis, and is the main commercial centre. There are two port facilities- one for cardgo, the other for travellers (mainly cruise ship). The international airport is just two miles from the town centre.