Fortress of Massanganu

Date of Submission: 22/11/1996
Category: Cultural
Submitted by:
Ministerio da Cultura Instituto Nacional do Patrimonio Cultural
Coordinates: Province: Kwanza - Norte (North of the Country)
Ref.: 924
Export
Word File
Disclaimer

The Secretariat of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the World Heritage Centre do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information or documentation provided by the States Parties to the World Heritage Convention to the Secretariat of UNESCO or to the World Heritage Centre.

The publication of any such advice, opinion, statement or other information documentation on the World Heritage Centre’s website and/or on working documents also does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of UNESCO or of the World Heritage Centre concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.

Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party

Description

The Fortress was founded by Cerveira Pereira in 1583, and would come to widen the zone of the portuguese occupation. The portugueses had been repelled by the Ngola, when in 1582, Paulo Dias de Novais, tried to penetrate in the region, estimulated by the4 legend of Silver Mines. The aim of its building was to destroy the resistance showed by the natives, marking its armed presence and to guarantee solidity to the networks of illegal slaves traffic. Massanganu was considered a gold mine, where a lot of people was captured to become cheap man-power in plantations and mines of the europeans in american lands. It was classified by the Provincial Decret n. 81, 28 of April of 1923.