Ciudad Vieja / La Bermuda
Direccion del Patrimonio Cultural, CONCULTURA, Ministry of Education, El Salvador.
The Secretariat of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the World Heritage Centre do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information or documentation provided by the States Parties to the World Heritage Convention to the Secretariat of UNESCO or to the World Heritage Centre.
The publication of any such advice, opinion, statement or other information documentation on the World Heritage Centre’s website and/or on working documents also does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of UNESCO or of the World Heritage Centre concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.
Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party
Ciudad Vieja is a historic archaeological site, representing first location of the Salvadoran capital of San Salvador. San Salvador was established here in 1528, while the Conquest was still in progress. It was abandoned only 17 years later and never reoccupied. Its low ruins are presently used for traditional agricultural. A variety of features can be observed, some of which are mentioned in historical sources, as are house lots ("solares"), the plaza, a church foundation, remains of the town hall ("cabildo"), and portion of cobblestone streets. This site is one of the best preserved Conquest-period Spanish sites in the hemisphere. One kilometer from Ciudad Vieja are the ruins of La Bermuda, a later Colonial hacienda house dating from the 1600's. La Bermuda is considered an outstanding example its kind. Restoration was carried out here in the 1970's, but the site was burned circa 1980 at the beginning of the war. It still preserves walls, wooden lintels, and outlying features including ovens and indigo works.