Architectural ensemble of Francysk Scaryna avenue in Minsk (1940's -1950's)
Délégation Permanente de la République de Bélarus auprès de l'UNESCO
The Secretariat of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the World Heritage Centre do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information or documentation provided by the States Parties to the World Heritage Convention to the Secretariat of UNESCO or to the World Heritage Centre.
The publication of any such advice, opinion, statement or other information documentation on the World Heritage Centre’s website and/or on working documents also does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of UNESCO or of the World Heritage Centre concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.
Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party
The urban architectural ensemble of Francysk Skaryna Avenue in Minsk is an example of the integrated approach in organizing a city's environment by harmoniously combining its architectural monuments, the planning structure, the landscape and the natural or man-made spots of vegetation.The Ensemble was constructed during fifteen years after World War II. Its length is 2900 meters. The width of the road including side-walks varies from 42 to 48 meters.The work on the general lay-out of the former Sovietskaya Street began in 1944, immediately after the liberation of Minsk from the Nazi troops. The leading architects from Moscow and Minsk were involved in the project. In 1947, as a result of the competition, the project which had been developed under supervision of the academician of architecture M. Parusnikov, was selected for the implementation.The project plan of the Skaryna Ensemble has succeeded in escaping monotony. The lay-out provided for the main features of the town-planning ensemble - the length of the buildings facades, their silhouettes, the main divisions, and the general architectural pattern. The integrated building plan was based on the accommodation of innovative ideas into classical architecture. The survived pre-war buildings and park zones were harmoniously incorporated into the architectural ensemble fortified by mortar beds, and have highly positioned windows. Apart from the church, there is a two-staged square steeple. The complex features a monumental composition lay¬out. The Church is an active place of worship. St.George Church in Alba was constructed in 1790 in the village of Alba (the Ivatsevichy Rayon) of squared logs on a brick foundation. This is a three-frame church of the asymmetric composition. The church has a pentahedral altar apse added to the main building, a two-staged steeple, topped by a high broach roof. Wooden planks cover the building with arch shaped windows. Crosses and finials finish the altar apse and the steeple broach. There are common features with the Gothic-Renaissance temples.