Jaragua National Park
Delegacion Permanente de la Republica Dominicana ante la UNESCO
The Secretariat of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the World Heritage Centre do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information or documentation provided by the States Parties to the World Heritage Convention to the Secretariat of UNESCO or to the World Heritage Centre.
The publication of any such advice, opinion, statement or other information documentation on the World Heritage Centre’s website and/or on working documents also does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of UNESCO or of the World Heritage Centre concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.
Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party
Presidential Decree No. 1315 established Jaragua National Park on August 11 of 1983. It has an area of 1374 km2, of which 905 km2 are marine. Such an extension makes it one of the biggest coastal marine protected areas of the insular Caribbean. The Park is located in the southwestern part of the Barahona Peninsula, including within its marine limits the islands of Beata and Alto Velo, as well as Los Frailes and Piedra Negra cays. Its northern limit runs parallel to the Juancho-Cabo Rojo road. To the east, west and south, the Park is delimited by a line drawn the sea at approximately 5 km from the coastline of the Barahona Peninsula, and 3 km south of Beata island, reaching its southernmost point 1 kilometer south of Alto Velo Island.