State Stud-Farm Estate of Mezöhegyes
Hungarian Min. of Cultural HeritageSecretariat of the Hungarian Committee of the World Heritage.
The Secretariat of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the World Heritage Centre do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information or documentation provided by the States Parties to the World Heritage Convention to the Secretariat of UNESCO or to the World Heritage Centre.
The publication of any such advice, opinion, statement or other information documentation on the World Heritage Centre’s website and/or on working documents also does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of UNESCO or of the World Heritage Centre concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.
Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party
The Stud-farm Institute, later Stud-farm Estate founded by Emperor Joseph II. in 1784 has been a major centre and organisational example of the highest standard horse-breeding and animal husbandry.
The first buildings of the estate were built in a short time. Eventually they developed into a unique architectural and agricultural complex. Besides the value of the species of horses (Nonius breed, Gidran, Mezohegyes halfbred) bred there, the architecture of the complex is also of exceeding value.
The layout of the large-scale farm which incorporates all the complementary branches necessary in horse-breeding as well as the urban appearance of the headquarters of this institution of military character is an original, definitive landscape-forming construction. Its most important architectural elements: old stud-farm yard 1785, two horse-herder cottages 1785, two old barracks 1786, bailiffs’ houses, horse-herders’ inn 1800, management building 1786, glass granary; in Újmezohegyes: construction stores 1860-70, new barracks 1790, miller quarters – dry mills 1790, bailiffs’ house. Three stud yards, headquarters of commander, covered riding-hall, North and South arches, gates, fence posts, animal hospital, oat storage towers, granaries, barns and several more buildings and structures.
The landscape has been reshaped by forest plantations and farm buildings.