Railway Bridge Over Yenissey River
UNESCO Chair in urban and architectural conservation
The Secretariat of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the World Heritage Centre do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information or documentation provided by the States Parties to the World Heritage Convention to the Secretariat of UNESCO or to the World Heritage Centre.
The publication of any such advice, opinion, statement or other information documentation on the World Heritage Centre’s website and/or on working documents also does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of UNESCO or of the World Heritage Centre concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.
Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party
The city of Krasnoyarsk, administrative center of the Krasno yarskiy Region, the biggest industrial and cultural center of the Eastern Siberia. Through the city of Krasnoyarsk lie s the Trans siberian Railroad, which construction started in 1891 and on the 6th of December 1895 to Krasnoyarsk arrived the first train from the West. But here, on the bank of the Yenissey river, rails ended. Steam-engines and cars had to be ferried across the Great Siberian river. On the 30~ of August 1896 the foundation-stone ceremony of the railroad bridge across Yenissey took place. The project of the upper construction of the Bridge has been carried out by pro£ L.Proskuryakov, and the piers and the methods of stone and caisson constructions has been elaborated in the Middlesiberian Railroad Department. The length ofthe Bridge - 1000 m, width - 7,5 m, height of trusses - 20 m, width of trusses - 8 m. Length of bigger spans - 137 m., smaller - 20 m. The principal manager of the construction was appointed engineer prof. E.Knorre, who for the first time in the world used the wooden caissons. The Bridge was put into operation in the beginning of 1899. The model of the Bridge with 7,32 m. in length and 1,83 m. in width and the model of wooden caisson were exposed at the Paris exhibition in 1890, where the Bridge was awarded a golden medal as a recognition of high level engineer and technological innovation, originality of construction. By putting the Railway Bridge across the Yenissey river into operation the Eastern and Western parts of the Siberian railroad were connected, which was recognized as the World's outstanding event after discovery of America and construction of the Suez Canal. Noting the historic and economic role of Transsiberian Railroad the Paris exhibition also awarded Grand Prix to the S iberian Railro ad C ommittee and the Russian Mini stry of Railro ad Communication . During the Bridge construction the best Italian specialists in granite methods of treatment and other foreign experts took part, this is why the Bridge appears to be the multinational human creation. It is supposed to fit out the Bridge for organizing a Museum of Transsiberian Railroad with a rolling-stock, used on Transsiberian Railroad, as well as exposition of photo documents, schemes of construction of Transsiberian Railroad and the Bridge over the Yenissey river.