Following the 24th session of the World Heritage Committee in December 2000, a project was financed by Flemish authorities to support the development of World Heritage management capacity in the Arab States.
The objectives of the project are:
- To make available updated information relative to the Convention to World Heritage site managers in the Arab region and the general public; and
- To assist in capacity building on World Heritage information management within the Arab States, including data collection, production of maps and monitoring systems, in order to improve the management and conservation of World Heritage sites in the region.
The project will consist of four main activities:
- The creation and development of a website in Arabic on World Heritage in the Arab Region, in cooperation with a regional partner;
- The development, through pilot workshops in the field, of four training modules for the reinforcement of capacity in World Heritage information management;
- The development of a human and scientific resources network (database, list of experts, responsible institutions, bibliography, etc.)
- The organization of a regional workshop in order to present the results of these activities to regional partners, collect their comments and define follow-up action.