Mir Castle Complex

Mir Castle Complex

The construction of this castle began at the end of the 15th century, in Gothic style. It was subsequently extended and reconstructed, first in the Renaissance and then in the Baroque style. After being abandoned for nearly a century and suffering severe damage during the Napoleonic period, the castle was restored at the end of the 19th century, with the addition of a number of other elements and the landscaping of the surrounding area as a park. Its present form is graphic testimony to its often turbulent history.

Ensemble du château de Mir

La construction de ce château commence à la fin du XVe siècle en style gothique. Il sera agrandi et reconstruit par la suite, d'abord en style Renaissance, puis en style baroque. Après un siècle d'abandon et les graves dommages subis pendant la période napoléonienne, le château sera restauré à la fin du XIXe siècle. De nombreux éléments y seront rajoutés et le paysage environnant sera aménagé en parc. Sa forme actuelle est un témoignage vivant de son histoire souvent troublée.

مجمع قصر مير

بدأ بناء هذا القصر في نهاية القرن الخامس عشر على الطراز القوطي. بعد ذاك، تمّ تكبيره وإعادة تشييده لاحقاً، أولاً بحسب طراز النهضة ومن ثم بحسب الطراز الباروكي. بعد قرن من الإهمال والأضرار الكبيرة التي عاناها خلال فترة نابليون، تمّت إضافة عدد كبير من العناصر عليه وترتيب الأراضي المجاورة لتصبح منتزهاً. إن شكله الحالي شاهد على تاريخه المضطرب.

source: UNESCO/ERI

米尔城堡群

米尔城堡于十五世纪末动工建设,属于哥特式风格,后来在文艺复兴时期及其后的巴洛克风格盛行时期得到不断扩建和重建。城堡曾被遗弃了近一个世纪,后又在拿破仑一世时期受到严重破坏,但最终于19世纪末得到修复。在修复过程中,加入了许多其他要素,美化了周边景观,建成了一个公园。如今的面貌是其历经沧桑动荡的历史写照。

source: UNESCO/ERI

Комплекс Мирского замка

Мирский замок был возведен в самом начале XVI в. в готическом стиле. Затем он был существенно расширен и перестроен, сначала в стиле эпохи Возрождения, затем – барокко. Далее почти на протяжении столетия замок был заброшен, а во время войны 1812 г. он испытал серьезные разрушения. В конце XIX в. замок был восстановлен, в его архитектурный ансамбль были внесены новые элементы, а на прилегающей территории был разбит ландшафтный парк с водоемом. Современный облик замка – наглядное свидетельство его богатой и сложной истории.

source: UNESCO/ERI

Conjunto del Castillo de Mir

Este castillo se empezó a construir en las postrimerí­as del siglo XV en estilo gótico. Las partes añadidas y reconstruidas posteriormente son de estilo renacentista y barroco. Tras un siglo de abandono y los graves daños sufridos en la época napoleónica, el castillo fue restaurado a finales del siglo XIX, añadiéndosele entonces nuevos elementos y transformando el í¡rea circundante en parque. Su apariencia actual es un testimonio vivo de su turbulenta historia.

source: UNESCO/ERI

ミール地方の城と関連建物群

source: NFUAJ

Mir kasteelcomplex

Aan het einde van de 15e eeuw begon men met de bouw van dit Gotische kasteel. Hierna werd het uitgebreid en herbouwd, eerst in de stijl van de Renaissance, daarna in de stijl van de Barok. Tegen het eind van de 19e eeuw werd het kasteel gerestaureerd, nadat het bijna een eeuw verlaten was geweest en hevige schade had opgelopen tijdens de Napoleontische tijd. In 1920 en 1930 werden elementen in de stijl van de Secessie en Romantiek toegevoegd en werd er rondom een park aangelegd. Tijdens de Tweede Wereldoorlog diende het kasteel als gevangeniskamp en getto.

Source: unesco.nl

  • English
  • French
  • Arabic
  • Chinese
  • Russian
  • Spanish
  • Japanese
  • Dutch
Mir Castle Complex © Public Domain
Justification for Inscription

Criterion ii: Mir Castle is an exceptional example of a central European castle, reflecting in its design and layout successive cultural influences (Gothic, Baroque, and Renaissance) that blend harmoniously to create an impressive monument to the history of this region.

Criterion iv: The region in which Mir Castle stands has a long history of political and cultural confrontation and coalescence, which is graphically represented in the form and appearance of the ensemble.

Long Description

The region in which Mir Castle stands has a long history of political and cultural confrontation and coalescence, which is graphically represented in the form and appearance of the ensemble. This is a fertile region in the geographical centre of Europe, at the crossroads of the most important trade routes, and at the same time at the epicentre of crucial European and global military conflicts between neighbouring powers with different religious and cultural traditions. The short period of history starting in the late 15th century was marked by a combination of unprecedented changes in the religious, humanitarian and economic spheres. The Mir Castle complex in its setting vividly symbolizes the history of Belarus and, as such, it is one of the major national symbols of the country.

Construction of the castle by the Ilyinichi family began at the end of the 15th century, in Gothic style; it was subsequently extended and reconstructed. The initial work consisted of building the walls and towers in Gothic style, but work came to an end for some unknown reason. Building had been completed by the beginning of the 17th century with the addition of palatial accommodation, with some Renaissance features, after it had passed to the Radzivill family. Following sieges in 1655 and 1706 reconstruction work involved the addition of some Baroque features. After being abandoned for almost a century and suffering severe damage during the Napoleonic period, the castle was restored at the end of the 19th century, with the addition of a number of other elements and the landscaping of the surrounding area as a park. Its present form is graphic testimony to an often turbulent history. The old castle survived as a romantic ruin.

The Mir Castle complex is situated on the bank of a small lake at the confluence of the Miryanka river and a small tributary. The fortified walls of the castle form an irregular quadrilateral; there are four exterior corner towers with hipped roofs rising to five storeys and a six-storey external gate tower on the western side. The facades are in brick, with recessed painted plasterwork, and the window and door frames and the balconies are sandstone. The roofs are tiled, some of the tiling being glazed.

Near the castle is the Chapel-Crypt of the Dukes of Svyatopolk-Mirsky. Its facade is decorated with a mosaic panel depicting the image of Christ, made from multicoloured tesserae. Other features are the watchman's house, close to the north of chapel crypt; the palace annex built in the late 19th century, which is located in the landscape park area with stuccoed and decorated facades. The ruins of the main palace building are situated at the eastern outskirts of the complex and are not currently in use. The 19th-century chapel is a tiny stone stuccoed building. The memorial on the site of the massacre of the Mir ghetto prisoners lies in the northern part of the complex, to the east of the former Italian garden.

Source: UNESCO/CLT/WHC
Historical Description

The castle was built in the late 15th or early 16th century (the first reference to it dates from 1531) by the Ilyinichi family. The initial work consisted of building the walls and towers in Gothic style, but work came to an end for some unknown reason. Building had been completed by the beginning of the 17th century with the addition of palatial accommodation, with some Renaissance features (including an Italian-style garden and a system of ponds), after it had passed to the Radzivill family in 1569. This work was probably supervised by the Italian architect Gian Maria Bernardoni.

Following sieges in 1655 and 1706 reconstruction work involved the addition of some Baroque features. It was badly damaged during the Napoleonic period, in 1794 and again in 1812, and it remained in a state of ruinous abandon until the late 19th century, when the complex was purchased by the Duke of Svyatopolk-Mirsky, who began laying out a landscape park with a lake. A new palace (destroyed in 1914) and other structures (chapel, watchman's house, etc) were erected within the grounds. The old castle survived as a romantic ruin. Some restoration work was carried out in the 1920s and 1930s, as a result of which some Secession and Romantic elements were added. During World War II it served as a prison camp and a ghetto. Restoration did not start in earnest again until 1982.

Source: Advisory Body Evaluation