30 COM 8B.28
Nominations of Natural Properties to the World Heritage List (Malpelo Fauna and Flora Sanctuary)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Documents WHC-06/30.COM/8B and WHC-06/30.COM/INF.8B.2,
2. Inscribes the Malpelo Fauna and Flora Sanctuary, Colombia, on the World Heritage List on the basis of natural criteria (ii) and (iii):
Criterion (ii): As the largest no-fishing zone in the Eastern Tropical Pacific, the Malpelo Fauna and Flora Sanctuary is a globally significant and largely pristine marine protected area with unaltered and non-threatened ecosystems, free of invasive species, that is essential to maintain and replenish the population of sharks, giant grouper and billfish in the Eastern Tropical Pacific, whilst providing unique opportunities for ecosystem conservation, research, and recreational diving.
Criterion (iii): Malpelo's pristine underwater environment is of striking natural beauty because of the incredibly rich and diverse marine life; and major aggregations of large predator fish. Visitation to this site is an exhilarating experience for divers, and has been featured in specialized diving periodicals around the world.
3. Defers the examination of the nomination of Gorgona Natural National Park, Colombia, to the World Heritage List on the basis of natural criteria;
4. Commends the State Party for its continued efforts in conserving these important marine protected areas, as well as the NGOs, other institutions and private partners that are contributing to their conservation;
5. Recommends the State Party to:
a) Improve the management of Malpelo Fauna and Flora Sanctuary, including through the implementation of a programme to ensure that illegal fishing pressure is avoided permanently in the areas in and around the sanctuary;
b) Strengthen tourism management and develop the funding base for long term management of both Gorgona Natural National Park and Malpelo Fauna and Flora Sanctuary;
c) Commence research on the deeper waters in both areas, including seamounts within them.