Ruins of the Buddhist Vihara at Paharpur (Bangladesh)
1. Having examined the state of conservation of the property, the findings and recommendations of the April 2002 UNESCO expert mission, new information provided by the State Party and ICOMOS;
2. While commending the authorities for their efforts to increase the protection of the property, expresses concern over the deterioration of the terracotta plaques and the structure and partial loss of authenticity of the property through the systematic removal and replacement of the 9th-century terracotta plaques which originally decorated the lower terraces of the Vihara walls;
3. Noting that a UNESCO mission will be organized in July 2002 to hold consultations with the authorities to enhance conservation, management and presentation of the property;
4. Requests the authorities together with the UNESCO mission to:a) consider the nomination of the property on the List of World Heritage in Danger in order to mobilize the significant international financial and technical resources for addressing the conservation challenges facing the property;
b) elaborate an action plan to enhance long-term conservation and management of the site, and to remove the ascertained and potential threats facing the property;
5. Encourages the authorities to submit an international assistance request;
6. Requests the State Party to provide by 1 February 2003, a report on the state of conservation of the property for examination at its 27th session in June/July 2003.