27 COM 7A.4
Mount Nimba Strict Nature Reserve (Guinea/Côte d'Ivoire)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Expresses concern that the political turmoil in Côte d'Ivoire has led to the suspension of operations of the Mount Nimba ecosystem conservation project in Côte d'Ivoire and has compelled some of the NGO partners to withdraw staff from the area;
2. Commends Fauna and Flora International on its commitment to continue co-operation with the Guinean State Party in addressing the refugee crisis and developing a long-term management project;
3. Commends the Centre de Gestion de l'Environnement des Monts Nimba (CEGEN) for its important role in promoting and managing international co-operation with relevant partners under the prevailing difficult circumstances to protect the natural values of the Mount Nimba Strict Nature Reserve;
4. Invites the Liberian Government, the Côte d'Ivoire and the Guinean authorities including CEGEN to co-operate with the World Heritage Centre, IUCN, NGO partners, UNDP, humanitarian agencies and others concerned to explore ways and means of minimizing impacts, particularly those caused by uncontrolled movement of refugees due to the conflict in Cote d'Ivoire and the worsening security conditions in Liberia;
5. Decides to retain Mount Nimba Strict Nature Reserve on the List of World Heritage in Danger, and to examine its state of conservation at its 28th session in 2004.