Decision : 31 COM 7B.108
Belfries of Belgium and France (Belgium/France)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-07/31.COM/7B,
2. Recalling the provisions set out in paragraph 172 of the Operational Guidelines, as well as those of the Vienna Memorandum on « World Heritage and Contemporary Architecture – Management of the Historic Urban Landscape » (2005),
3. Expresses its concern with regard to the construction project for a covered market at the foot of the World Heritage property of the Béthune Belfry (France) and located in the buffer zone of the property;
4. Requests the French State Party to improve the existing legislation in order to guarantee satisfactory legal protection and authorization procedures adapted to the status of the World Heritage property;
5. Also requests the French State Party to provide as soon as possible but at the latest by 1 February 2008, detailed information demonstrating that this project does not affect the Outstanding Universal Value, as well as the visual integrity, of the Belfry and its surroundings (visual impact evaluation) before any irreversible decision is taken, for examination by the Committee at its 32nd session in 2008.