Natural System of "Wrangel Island" Reserve (Russian Federation) (N 1023)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-12/36.COM/7B,
2. Recalling Decision 33 COM 7B.30, adopted at its 33rd session (Seville, 2009),
3. Welcomes the efforts of the State Party to increase inspection, monitoring and waste removal from the property;
4. Reiterates its request to the State Party to ensure that ministerial approval and adequate finance are in place for the implementation of the Management Plan and to establish an effective monitoring system that considers potential climate change impacts on the property;
5. Notes the plans to develop further tourism infrastructure and increase visitation to the island and urges the State Party to develop and implement an effective plan for tourism use within the property and, taking into account the particular sensitivity of the tundra ecosystem, to conduct an environmental impact assessment for the planned upgrading of tourism facilities, and submit it to the World Heritage Centre;
6. Requests the State Party to submit to the World Heritage Centre, by 1 February 2013, an updated report on the state of conservation of the property, including the ministerial approval and provision of adequate and increased financing of the Management Plan, the establishment of an effective monitoring system that pays attention to possible climate change impacts on the property, copies of the tourism Management Plan and the environmental impact assessment for the upgrading of tourism facilities within the property.