35 COM 7B.115
Westminster Palace, Westminster Abbey and Saint Margaret’s Church (United Kingdom) (C 426bis)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-11/35.COM/7B,
2. Recalling Decision 33 COM 7B.128, adopted at its 33rd session (Seville, 2009),
3. Notes the intention of the State Party to address issues related to the protection of the visual integrity of the property;
4. Notes with regret that specific measures to protect the immediate and wider settings and have not yet been sufficiently developed;
5. Notes with concern that the State Party acknowledges that major developments currently being considered could have a potential impact on the property;
6. Requests the State Party to evaluate the impact of proposed changes to the visual setting of the property on its Outstanding Universal Value, and to develop and apply effective mechanisms for the protection of the setting as a matter of urgency;
7. Also requests the State Party to refrain from approving any new development project until an adequate protection of the setting of the property is in place;
8. Further requests the State Party to invite a joint World Heritage Centre/ICOMOS reactive monitoring mission to the property to review and discuss with national and local authorities the overall situation of the property with regard to the state of conservation of the site in its urban context, how current and proposed construction projects in its neighbourhood may affect the Outstanding Universal Value of the property, and how appropriate protection for its setting may be put in place, for examination by the World Heritage Committee at its 36th session in 2012;
9. Requests furthermore the State Party to submit to the World Heritage Centre, by 1 February 2012, a report on the state of conservation of the property and in particular on how protection could be strengthened for its setting and related vistas, for examination by the World Heritage Committee at its 36th session in 2012.
Original Decision Document
Context of Decision
Reactive Monitoring Mission, Tower of London ...