Old Town of Galle and its Fortifications (Sri Lanka)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-05/29.COM/7B.Rev,
2. Expressing its deepest sympathies to the authorities of Sri Lanka and the victims of the tsunami of 26 December 2004,
3. Highly commends the State Party of Sri Lanka and the Sri Lanka ICOMOS Committee for the commitment shown towards the preservation of its cultural heritage at a time of national crisis;
4. Encourages the international community to contribute to the rehabilitation of the World Heritage property of the Old Town of Galle and its Fortifications and of the cultural heritage of the country in general;
5. Also encourages the State Party to integrate, within its reconstruction strategy and operational mechanisms, a concern for cultural heritage, including for vernacular architecture and traditional cultural landscapes that may have not yet been listed under the current Antiquities Law;
6. Requests the State Party to keep the World Heritage Centre informed of the outcome of the negotiations with the various donors interested in contributing to the safeguarding of the cultural heritage of the World Heritage property.