29 COM 7B.55
Lumbini, the Birthplace of the Lord Buddha (Nepal)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-05/29.COM/7B.Rev,
2. Recalling its Decision 28 COM 15B.66, adopted at its 28th session (Suzhou, 2004),
3. Reiterating its serious concern about the lack of significant progress in addressing the recommendations of the joint World Heritage Centre/ICOMOS Mission of 2004 to reverse the negative impact of the new Maya Devi Temple on the integrity and authenticity of the property,
4. Requests the World Heritage Centre and ICOMOS to carry out a new joint mission to the property to define, in close consultation with the responsible authorities, definite solutions and concrete actions to address the above concerns, including a clear timetable for implementation, and report to the Committee on the outcome of the mission at its 30th Session (Vilnius, 2006);
5. Also requests the State Party of Nepal to take urgent action, possibly through assistance from the World Heritage Fund, towards the elaboration of a comprehensive management plan for the property, built around its outstanding universal value and in line with the principles set out in the Operational Guidelines (paragraphs 96-119);6. Further requests the State Party to submit to the World Heritage Centre, by 1 February 2006, a report on the progress made in the implementation of the above recommendations, including the recommendations of the joint mission World Heritage Centre / ICOMOS of 2004, and the follow up to the recommendations of the new joint World Heritage Centre/ICOMOS mission to the property on the issue of the Maya Devi Temple, for examination by the Committee at its 30th session (Vilnius, 2006).
7. Decides to consider the inscription of the property on the List of World Heritage in Danger if the above mentioned measures are not implemented by 1 February 2006.