CONF 001 XIV.61-63
Nominations to the World Heritage List and to the List of World Heritage in Danger: Overview
61. Taking account of the recommendations of ICOMOS and IUCN, the Committee decided to inscribe 27 properties on the World Heritage List, of which 19 were cultural properties, 5 natural and 3 mixed. The Committee furthermore decided not to inscribe 2 properties on the World Heritage List. Another 9 nominations were deferred by the Committee and/or its Bureau. The Committee also decided to remove the Djoudj National Park (Senegal) from the List of World Heritage in Danger, and added the Bahla Fort (Oman).
62. There are now 315 properties inscribed on the World Heritage List and 7 properties on the List of World Heritage in Danger.
XIV/I. Nominations of natural properties
63. The Secretariat introduced document SC-88/CONF.001/9 and informed the Committee of the following points:
- by letter dated 29 November 1988, the Hungarian Permanent Delegation to Unesco had withdrawn the nomination of Hortobagy National Park;
- in accordance with the suggestion of the Bureau at its twelfth session, Unesco will convene a working group particularly to study petrified forests involving the Intergovernmental Geological Correlation Programme (IGCP) of Unesco, the International Union of Geological Sciences (IUGS) and IUCN. Once the results of this study were available, the Bureau could then examine the nomination of the Petrified Forest of Lesbos submitted by Greece.