Decision : CONF 208 X.A
Churches of Peace in Jawor and Swidnica (Poland)
Property: Churches of Peace in Jawor and Swidnica
Id. N°: 1054
State Party: Poland
Criteria: C (iii) (iv) (vi)
The Committee inscribed the Churches of Peace in Jawor and Swidnica on the World Heritage List under criteria (iii), (iv), and (vi):
Criterion (iii): The Churches of Peace are outstanding testimony to an exceptional act of tolerance on the part of the Catholic Habsburg Emperor towards Protestant communities in Silesia in the period following the Thirty Years' War in Europe.
Criterion (iv): As a result of conditions imposed by the Emperor the Churches of Peace required the builders, to implement pioneering constructional and architectural solutions of a scale and complexity unknown ever before or since in wooden architecture. The success may be judged by their survival to the present day.
Criterion (vi): The Churches of Peace bear exceptional witness to a particular political development in Europe in the 17th century of great spiritual power and commitment.
The Observer of Germany noted that the symbolic importance of these two monuments was due to two factors, one historic and the other contemporary: the two churches bear witness to an act of Tolerance that, at the time of their construction, was extremely rare. Furthermore, with regard to their state of conservation, they demonstrate close and fruitful co-operation between the two neighbouring countries, Poland and Germany. The cultural heritage of Silesia, formerly disputed by both countries, is today considered as common heritage for which Poland and Germany are responsible.
Original Decision Document