Decision : 32 COM 7B.36
Alexander von Humboldt National Park (Cuba) (N 839 rev)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-08/32.COM/7B,
2. Recalling Decision 31 COM 7B.37, adopted at its 31st session (Christchurch, 2007),
3. Acknowledges with appreciation the commitment from Sherrit International (Canada) to abstain from exploring or exploiting the mining concession granted within this property in line with the international policy statement of the International Council of Mining and Metals (ICMM) of not undertaking these activities in World Heritage properties;
4. Requests the State Party to make a clear and unequivocal commitment to close down the mining concessions granted within the boundaries of the property, or those in its periphery that could affect the property;
5. Also requests the State Party to submit to the World Heritage Centre, by 1 February 2009, a report on the state of conservation of the property and a statement on its commitment to refrain from all mining activities within the property, for examination by the World Heritage Committee at its 33rd session in 2009.