Belize Barrier Reef System (Belize) (N 764)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-08/32.COM/7B,
2. Expresses its serious concern at the reported destruction of mangrove and coral reef ecosystems within the property with accompanying adverse impacts on the Outstanding Universal Value and the integrity of the property;
3. Requests the State Party to urgently ensure that these destructive activities cease immediately and that the affected areas be ecologically rehabilitated; and to inform the World Heritage Committee of any existing or proposed development plans in waters / cays within or adjacent to the property as required under Paragraph 172 of the Operational Guidelines;
4. Also requests the State Party, in consultation with the World Heritage Centre and IUCN, to develop a draft Statement of Outstanding Universal Value including the conditions of integrity, for examination by the World Heritage Committee at its 33rd session in 2009;
5. Further requests the State Party to invite a joint World Heritage Centre / IUCN Reactive Monitoring mission in 2008/2009 to assess the extent of the reported damage and the state of conservation of the property;
6. Requests moreover the State Party to submit to the World Heritage Centre, by 1 February 2009, a report on the state of conservation of the property, including measures taken to stop the destruction of mangroves and coral reefs and a description of progress in rehabilitating the reported damage to the property, for examination by the World Heritage Committee at its 33rd session in 2009, with a view to considering, in the absence of substantial progress, the inscription of the property on the List of World Heritage in Danger.