Old Town of Lijiang (China)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-07/31.COM/7B.Add,
2. Notes with concern the uncontrolled tourism and other development projects being carried out at the property, which might have a negative impact on its heritage values;
3. Requests the State Party to review the current comprehensive Management Plan of the property by:
a) Preparing a proposal for the boundaries of the core and buffer zones of the areas of Baisha and Shuhe, and submit it to the Committee for its examination according to paragraphs 163-165 of the Operational Guidelines;
b) Developing a Master Plan for the property and its surrounding area, which includes the Management Plan and allows a strategic approach to development, tourism and conservation in order to maintain the integrity of the property and its setting;
c) Strengthening its effectiveness in protecting the heritage values of the property, notably by developing appropriate land-use regulations and impact assessment procedures for proposed development projects;
d) Continuously providing support to local homeowners in their efforts to maintain their houses in accordance with traditional building practices.
4. Also requests the State Party to invite a joint World Heritage Centre/ICOMOS reactive monitoring mission to the property to assess its state of conservation and assist in addressing the issues raised in paragraph 3 above;
5. Further requests the State Party to submit to the World Heritage Centre, by 1 February 2008, a report on the state of conservation of the property, including information on the progress made in implementing the actions mentioned above, for examination by the Committee at its 32nd session in 2008.