Decision : 31 COM 7B.36
Talamanca Range – La Amistad Reserves / La Amistad National Park (Costa Rica and Panama)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-07/31.COM/7B.Add,
2. Recalling Decision 28 COM 15B.33, adopted at its 28th session (Suzhou, 2004),
3. Regrets that plans for hydroelectric dams adjacent to the property's boundaries have not been communicated to the World Heritage Centre, as per Paragraph 172 of the Operational Guidelines;
4. Notes with concern that the Outstanding Universal Value of the property may be at risk from these dams, from poaching, and from encroachment by local farmers on both sides of the international boundary;
5. Requests the States Party of Panama and Costa Rica to jointly invite a World Heritage Centre/IUCN monitoring mission in 2008 to asses the state of conservation of the property with a particular focus on evaluating the status and impacts of hydroelectric dam construction, of assessing the extent of incompatible land uses and measures in place to deal with them, and assessing other conservation threats to the property.
6. Also requests the States Party of Panama and Costa Rica to submit to the World Heritage Centre by 1 February 2008 a report on the state of conservation of the property, including the implications of the proposed hydroelectric dams on the aquatic biodiversity of the Changuinola /Teribe watershed, the presence of incompatible land uses within the property's boundaries, updated information on poaching activities, and on the measures taken to deal effectively with these issues, for examination by the World Heritage Committee at its 32nd session in 2008.